Tuesday 3 December 2013

Everything Ends

Everything Ends.
Between sleep and waking this morning, some historic events flashed through my mind. Each one of us who is above forty can identify with each of them and those older can tell more of the phenomenon on my mind. Those younger too would have their own stories to tell. Two historic events came to my mind. The end of apartheid in the Republic of South Africa and the end of Communism in USSR. Growing up, these two situations shaped ideologies across the world. They split the world into different groups. They displayed so much power that made them look so invincible. Many turned from faith in God because of them and many prejudicially blasphemed their Creator for permitting such inhumanity against fellow man and the question on many mouths and minds was if they would ever come to an end. But they did. Unexpected strings of events created an unusual process that brought them down. I can never forget the bringing down of the Berlin wall, when angry and frustrated youths spontaneously brought down that formidable wall of separation built in between the same clan for politics sake. Everything comes to an end. So I can say that someday the anomalies of our present day too will come to an end. Terrorism too will come to an end and tourism will boom again. The anomalies of my life too will someday come to an end. Every passing moment takes me closer to the end of my own pathetic state like the end of the apartheid. My redemption is closer now than when I first believe. I see a brighter day ahead. The tunnel ends and the light shines. It wont go on forever. The four years between the football world cups seem like eternity to fanatics but they always see the reality of exhaustion they always come to an end. The years spent in school seemed unending but they always end. The nine months of pregnancy gets too long at a point but the reality soon sets in when the day of delivery arrives. They always end. Holidays are always sweet but they too come to their end. So I have decided to outlast the situations around me and see their end for they will always come to an end. I wait patiently, I endure the hardness and engage longsuffering because sure there is an end. I waited to be married but my waiting came to an end on my wedding day. I may not know when but definitely the wait will come to an end and the unbelievable and the unexpected wil happen.
On the other hand I will learn not to hold on too tightly to what will eventually come to and end. Wisdom will help me differentiate between eternal things and temporal things. I will invest my life in eternity rather than in th transient. I know the weight of the glory of eternal things is incomparable to the lightness of the momentary affliction. The outward touchable things will come to an end but that which is unseen  eternal and there my focus will be. Here rot and moth will degrade and bring things, everything to its end but there purses don't wax old and treasure lasts long. The ice caps melts and the preserver itself can no longer hold, warmth increases and prophesies the coming eternal fervent heat, the old habitation of men comes to its end this era. It shall also come to an end and what manner of men ought we to be seeing from now that end? The truth is that every waiting will come to an end, even the things we love to hold  unto will not stay for ever, and so why bother about the the things we love to lose? These too shall come to an end and pass away. The response should be to hold the world with a temporal mentality. I will live my life a day at a time and enjoy the moment while it lasts. I will put in my best at all times and leave what I can't change. Desperation will be far from me and complaints will have no place. I'll keep my life simple towing the path of my call with diligence. I'm sure also that  someday my own end shall come on this part of the divide either by the rapture or by the inevitable end of all things and after then there will not be another opportunity to do what I today have the potential and the opportunity to do. I will keep it simple and live to the fullest with my mind on the end trusting that it will still be far. I must not live as if there is no end, though its morning or noon the night shall come and everyone shall sleep. The wait will end, the invincible will crumble, the end of the long rope is sure no matter how long. Both the sweet and the sad will come to an end and not one will live forever except the Eternal. Put it to heart and remember always that the end of all things shall come. Good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment