Monday 17 February 2014

Am I Clear?

Am I Clear?
Among many thoughts this morning is the thought around communication. My mind ruminates regurgitatively on the impressions our communications make on those at the receiving end. How good it is when your students understand and are able to applicably utilise the information and knowledge disseminated. How wonderful when in clarity followers run with the vision communicated! How wonderful when the speaker perceives the light alighting on the hearers from the rain of his words. You leave the podium handing over the mich with a sense of satisfaction that someone was left with substances to ponder upon. What a wonderful feeling.
Then you fell on someone's taken notes. With your name as the speaker of those things noted down and you wonder in utter amazement if you'd ever given such a speech. Somethings else have been heard and taken down, quoted to you of which you'd never uttered. What disappointment and fear. What helplessness as to how to correct the wrong impression.  Even when it was just a statement out of many that was gotten wrong it becomes a sore point that pains the other points gotten correctly.
Yet there's nothing we can do about wrong impressions and misunderstood gestures.
People hear and read what they want to read. When we read, we read through eyeglasses, or call them reading glasses. Not one or two, each representing various experiences, information, attitudes, idiosyncrasies, fears, insecurities, expectations, disappointments and such deep personal concoctions that are deeply seated and hardly perceptible to even the hearer himself. Unfortunately they are the guides who explain what is heard.
Both verbal and none verbal release of information suffer such abuse they all have to go through the labyrinth of all we have ever gone through.
Yet we become so stubborn in letting go impressions burned into our minds and its understandable.  The process of arriving at each impression we have of people or of what we hear even within a very short time can be so complex. And the printing press so heavy that makes marks hard to erase as if engraved in diamond and ingrained in everlasting stones.
So when I say 'Am I clear?' I sincerely hope I am. And when I am to be judged by what I say, I hope it won't be what someone thought I said. I hope what you know of me is exactly what I am even if not too good. I hope you understand me.
This is why we must grow in understanding and not in malice. There is a way a spiritual child processes thoughts and there is a way the spiritually matured handles information. I must graduate and gradually move away from thinking like a child to growing up into adulthood. I must remain a baby in malice to become a man in understanding. I must strive to understand people and their intentions and take them as they are and not as I think they are.
Communication remains non effective so long I am yet to understand what is being transferred. How can I respond to the trumpet that makes no certain sound and when it even makes a very clear sound I need to have learnt how to tell a party tune from a war cry to know what next to do.
I need to understand you beyond the first impression. I know people change. Every organism do. And being spiritual organisms we have the capacity to change and we change notwithstanding how resistant we are to change and personal change for that matter. Things make impressions on us and we change we learn new things and change, we regret past errors and we change. We see others, we learn and we change. We see a better attainable future and we change, we go through trials and tribulations and we change, something influences us and we change, these are basic change agents we can hardly resist. Our character changes, our attitudes change, our relationships change. If we thus change, how can first impression remain a true stardard of weighing further words and deeds without committing errors? If we change how do we expect to always meet people where we left them? Even those we nurture change and the changes may need a separation to be noticed. I am sure you're no more the person I left back in school and I'd changed some too. Whichever way, my desires are different now and my responsibilities have changed, don't judge me as the person you used to know, you need to re-learn me and update the impression of me you use to have. I sincerely hope I'd become better! I hope you have too!
If you had misunderstood me then try to understand me now before you respond to the mystery me. Follow my words and if you can understand them you will know who I am. My words should reveal my values and my values should tell my substance and my substance should tell my integrity and in my integrity I inhabit. There you'll find the real me and the changes that have happened to me.
But I'm sure you need to control and condition the eyeglasses with which you read me or put them aside for once to see as it is. Then you can weigh beyond the live-in prejudices that contaminate data and colorize clarity. Then you can speak with authority what you know which you can assuredly act on.
We err when we fail to know before speaking or acting. How do you recommend someone you can hardly understand, how do you attest to one you misunderstood? Yes, I realise that misunderstanding is an unconscious situation. Every misunderstanding is understanding to the one who misunderstands. If I don't understand, I can seek for understanding but if I misunderstand, I am wrongly assured that I understand and why would I yet seek understanding? Thus I go on in conceit with my misconception and heretic impression and any other persuasion is like taking a walled city or taking a super power.
Don't be too sure, because you may be wrong. Ask twice to be sure of the meaning of what you are hearing or reading. Read again and interprete rightly considering not just your parochial and myopic view but the state of the speaker and the environment of his speech. And until you get a good understanding don't speak on the subject else you'll become a barbarian to your hearers or at best a comedian.
The rule is that if your impression makes someone look bad, give yourself another chance of understanding the person before telling the world a good man is bad and thus make yourself a slanderer and a scorner.
If the discussion makes a person look bad ask questions to be sure of what you are hearing and if it is about what you see, be careful so that your eyes aren't deceiving you through the many eyeglasses accumulated over the years. Ask again and be clear. Let light shine upon your darkness as the morning sun and live on boldly in the shinning light! Good morning! Share this and keep visiting evansademanuel.blogspot.com and let me know you were there! Peace to you and all yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment