Monday 25 November 2013

No violence

No Violence
This morning my mind is filled with all sorts. I see that inspiration is impeded by mental distractions. Amidst the jungle of thoughts an issue stands out coming from an experience I had yesterday. Three young boys in an SUV attempted to jump me for  'almost' scratching their car in traffic. Checking my mails this morning, I saw a campaign ad against violence against women. The two connected instantly. Violence is violence irrespective of who is at the receiving end. I don't want violence within my borders. Nobody wants it either between two people or between two nations. I am sure everyone has the tendency to be violent. I had raised my voice beyond acceptable decibels too, I had imagined being able to retaliate an advantage taken of me. I had reacted violently to certain to the foolishness of close acquaintances and I know violent tendencies lurk somewhere within waiting for opportunities to unleash its venom on a perceived weaker entity. Anger, frustrations, pride, the sence of being cheated,  self protection, oppressive tendencies, retaliation and so on are the woods that power the flames of violence and nobody is immuned. Meanwhile, what goes round comes round. If I look weak when my son is taken advantage of in school by another boy or even a girl for that matter and I scolded him for allowing such a cheating and that he should go back and deal with the situation and bring back a better  'report', I had planted a seed of violence. What goes round comes round. I would have wrongly defined strength and weakness. I would have made strength weak and weakness strong. Violence would have taken on the non fitting garment of strength. Violence is not strength! And everytime the retaliator is beaten he becomes weaker and the violator becomes stronger. Predators is strengthened through the fear of the prey. Beauty attracts the suitor and so barking sends the fear that marks out the prey. Who is weak but he who only gains confidence through violence? Who uses his body and physique and not his personality and humanity to record a presence and attention? Strength is from within. A wise man is stronger than ten men. Soft answer arrests raging anger and makes a fool of the violent. Tell the bully that bullying is weakness, no bully is an hero.  I will rather use my bullying tendencies to help someone who is weak. I will not bully with my bulky biceps rather cuddle a weeping child with the large surface area of my broad shoulders. Why do we try to make the world see how strong we are? Why do we think being fearful adds to respect? Violent people really do not belong to society and I must restrain the tendencies within or go on exile to the animal kingdom like Nebuchadnezzar. The love of God contrains. The love of God holds down the tendencies. As it is shed abroad in my heart I must allow it to overflow. It makes me see violence as weak and meekness as strong. He who has no control over his own spirit and responds instinctively just as the opposition is like a city without walls, anything and anyone has access. I have realised that if I don't put myself under control other unwanted things will control me. When I allow just anything to control my emotions I lose my control and dance to any tune even to that of my enemies yet the responsibility of my destiny is mine. If it gets better I bear the responsibility and if it gets worse no one shares it. So I must take responsibility and take charge. So I only get angry under my own control so I don't sin. I refuse to be provoked and so curtail corresponding violence. Quietness is strength and peace is stronger than trouble. The forces of peace chain the rumblings of trouble and enforce quietness. Meekness is not foolishness only the foolish fuels the troubles he cannot control. I won't start a war I wont be able to bring to an end, it makes no sense. Why would you start a fire you won't be able to quench? Violence makes no sense wisdom is better. I must deal with my frustrations and my anger,  I must learn to forgive, retaliation hurts no one but me. The arm raised against the innocent withers and condemnation is to the one who oppresses the poor. I must not allow my fear to push me to oppress. There is no strong front that can cover for the weakness within. If no one knows my weaknesses I know them one by one and covering them does not replace them with strength. There is no point trying to tell the world how rich you are spending a million dollar at a strangers' party on champagne. If you are rich you are and if you are not it adds nothing trying to make yourself look so. Violence has its roots in wanting to be what is not and tryong to prove what is unnecessarily.  The husband is the head even if poor and there is nothing to prove. The wife is help even if with billions she is just being qualified to be. When a leader has to remind the followers that he is then he has lost it. Why should I prove a status that is obvious? And why should I be ashamed of the level I have found myself? Shame does not change statuses, being ashamed of my dented car won't change it, it would only bring worry that leads to more deadly emotions and here comes violence. Why would I have to prove my class to people? Class consciousness is conceit and foolishness. Nothing that confers class is permanent none is reliable. The only class we all belong to is that which makes us all hungry, want sleep and want affection and that class is the most stable and permanent from cradle to the grave. Violence isn't worth it. It improves nothing it destroys anything and it must not be heard within my borders. It shall not be heard within your borders...Good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment